Saturday, March 2, 2013

Gradient Yarn

Here are the promised pics of the gradient dyed yarn in my Grandfather's Rose Garden colourway.


The yarn is 10ply Bendigo Woollen Mills "Luxury", machine wash merino.



Gradient yarns are fiddly to dye! I wind off ten 10g mini skeins, tying each in two places, and not cutting the yarn - so when the finished yarn is wound into a ball it will be one continuous thread which changes colour slowly as you knit or crochet.

I'm very particular about the colours - I set up 10 dye cups on my bench and get the colours just right on paper, then after the yarns are dyed I sometimes overdye one or two mini-skiens to get the graduation just right.

Gradient yarn like this would be beautiful used in a shawl or wrap, a cowl, a beanie, or in my personal favourite a baby vest or dress which is knitted in one piece - like the ever popular Milo.

I'll tell you a secret - I'm actually working on a couple of knitting patterns to suit gradient yarns like these :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment